Saturday, January 31, 2015

Summer 2015 set reveal masterpost (images and analysis)

Some unofficial images of summer 2015 sets are starting to appear online, and I haven't seen them posted on any major LEGO blogs yet, so I figured I'd do a write-up here on Brickology. Imgur user Scarilian created an album of images from around the web; I'm using those images in this post for my own analysis of the sets. You can view the original album here.  

In this image we see the Ultra Agents set 71068 Drillex Diamond Job, which will be available soon (if it isn't already). However, in the background we can see part of another set, which seems to be some sort of ocean/dock structure (I'm thinking maybe an oil rig). A new villain minifigure can be seen, as well as what appears to be a new shark design. This set could be 70173 Ultra Agents Ocean HQ, which will go for $79.99 according to The Brick Fan's London Toy Fair 2015 report


This is an exciting image: we can see all four summer Minecraft sets. From left to right: 21120 The Snow Hideout ($39.99), 21121 The Desert Outpost ($59.99), 21122 The Nether Fortress ($69.99), and 21119 Dungeon ($19.99). According to The Brick Fan, 21121 was designed with the help of the fan community. It's hard to make out details at this distance but all the sets look pretty good from what I can see. 
This image shows a new Minecraft set, almost certainly 21122 The Nether Fortress. We see a new Blaze mob figure, with a body made up of fire-hose nozzle elements.
This one is pretty obviously the Dungeon. 
This image shows a couple of new Minecraft mob minifigures, including a Wolf and a Zombie Pigman. I'm not sure what the thing on the left with the green torso and orange head is. 
Ninjago is coming back in a big way this summer, and this set makes that very evident. (However, going by The Brick Fan's list of summer set names, it's difficult for me to tell what the above set is called. My best guess is that it's 70735 Ronin Rex, in which case it would sell for $39.99.)

There are tons of new parts and recolors in this image, including those large dark green slopes (and I think that big dark bley one as well). We're seeing some new cream-colored elements (or is that just tan?) on the bad guy vehicle. That big round gold piece is interesting but it's hard to think of many practical uses for it in MOCs. I'm not sure about this particular set, but I like Ninjago as a theme and I really want it to make a good comeback. 
Here's another Ninjago set, probably 70736 Ghost Dragon. We get a better look at some of the new villains, and the dragon exhibits a lot of new pieces and colors (trans-neon-yellow chains!). Some of the parts appear to be glow-in-the-dark. 
This one is undoubtedly 70738 Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty. The rear cabin of this model is built up considerably more than in the original version, which leads me to think that it will have a more detailed interior. Of particular interest to me are those large dark tan slopes on the side-mounted engines, which I believe are a new part. One of the minifigs on the ground seems to have a purple "sensei hat," which I'd love to get my hands on a few of.
Switching gears a bit we have this Creator set which I assume is 31028 Changing Seasons ($39.99). It's just another minifig-scale Creator set and I don't see much of interest to discuss.
31039 Blue Power Jet ($49.99) is a different story. This is one of the coolest-looking Creator sets I've seen in a long time. Very sleek and swooshable, and I love the dark blue. This is a potential buy for me.
31037 Adventure Vehicles goes for $17.99 and seems like a pretty neat little model. Some of those green slopes and arches would be nice parts to have. 
It seems the Space subtheme is returning, which is exciting news (though I personally am more interested in the new Deep Sea subtheme). This image shows 60078 Utility Shuttle ($17.99) and part of the shuttle from 60080 Spaceport ($69.99); in the back right we see 60079 Training Jet Transporter ($39.99).
60093 Deep Sea Helicopter ($39.99) from the new City subtheme, Deep Sea. It seems LEGO really likes their dark blue this summer; we're seeing it in Creator, Ninjago, and City.
60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel ($69.99), also in the Deep Sea subtheme, seems to use a new, wider boat hull, in... dark blue again! No doubt that huge piece drives the price up considerably, but this is still a pretty cool set. I'm also interested by the shipwreck model seen in the foreground; I wonder which set that comes with? And those little submarines... there's a lot to like about this subtheme, I think.
The three images above show 60097 City Square ($139.99). Those curved transparent panels used on the trolley are some interesting pieces, and there are a lot of them in the set. 
Big Technic sets are always cool and 42042 Crawler Crane is no exception; according to The Brick Fan, the boom is almost 3 feet long. 
This is presumably 42043 Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245. According to The Brick Fan, it will be available in late 2015; the alternate build is a flatbed truck.
Two Architecture sets are shown here, the Louvre and the Flatiron Building. No information on pricing or set numbers yet.
Here are some new purple and green Mixels from series 6, as well as a new yellow "construction worker"-type Mixel. This looks like a pretty fun tribe and I look forward to seeing the other two. The Brick Fan says that the yellow ones are called Kram, Forx, and Wuzzo.
This is a set from the new Friends subtheme, Pop Stars; I assume it's 41105 Pop Star Show Stage ($34.99).
41106 Pop Star Tour Bus ($49.99). I like the overall look of this thing, but... clear windows? You can see everything going on in there!

There are also a ton of images of the new BIONICLE sets- so many that I'm not going to post them here. You can view Scarilian's Imgur album via the link above (or below) to see those. 

Overall this looks like a really good summer for LEGO releases. I am most excited for Ninjago and City, although the Minecraft sets look very nice as well, and of course everyone's excited about the Avengers Helicarrier set that was revealed earlier this week. 

Sources for this post:

No comments: